Friday, October 28, 2011

SO much more important than the water heater

This lovely exert was taken from my little sister's Facebok wall. For those that don't know, Mark is my lovely fiance. Ashley is my sister.

Now for a bit of a history. Night before last my water heater (which Mark refers to as the "boiler"- god I love the Englishness of that!) died. To be completely correct, it exploded. The seal on the top abandoned it's post after a 15 year stint.
Events of the evening progress in this manner:
1. Sarah makes a monstrous mess by sanding the drywall in the largest room in the house, without putting down any drop cloths.
2. Sarah surveys 1/4" layer of fine white dust covering everything. Everything includes but is not limited to kitchen counters, appliances, table, floors, couch, etc.
3. Sarah hears strange dripping noise and begins investigation.
4. Discovery of rising tidal pool in the laundry room. I'm totally serious. BOILING water is pouring out the top of the heater and everything is soaked.
5. Frantic moments in which Sarah surmises how to work the water and gas shut off valves on an appliance she has, up until now, taken completely for granted.
6. In the middle of draining the lake, Sarah knocks the doorbell off the wall, and breaks off the front piece. At which point, THE ENTIRE WORLD CHANGES.

My house was built in 1974. Meaning it was filled with gadgets that are at home in the Gremlins movie. Remember all those weird futuristic kitchen gadgets? My dorbell is no exception. This is it in all it's gaudy 70's gear. You'll note the front....
Now below is it after it hit the floor. First, notice the KEY PAD, and then, on the left, notice the instructions. You can't see it in the picture, but those instructions say "SONG SELECTION"
Imagine me, standing in the middle of a swamp. Covered in drywall dust, clothes sopping wet and frantically trying to sweep water towards the drain in the center of the room. And suddenly I spy a long song list, and programming instructions in my 35 year old doorbell.

It was as if I was transported into another world. I sat down transfixed on this doorbell. A doorbell that has been in my house for three years. Whose true capabilities I hadn't ever conceived until that moment. It was bliss.

For those of you interested (or just plain jealous), my doorbell is a Nutone doorbell. It plays TWENTY SIX songs. A sample of my favorites includes:
Jingle Bells
Happy Birthday
The Star Spangled Banner
For He's A Jolly Good Fellow
Joy to the World

and my personal favorite? Dixie.

I'm in love.Standing in the middle of a swamp, I discovered the best thing that's happened to me this week. Go ahead. Tell me you're jealous. Because I KNOW you are. It plays JINGLE BELLS. I've coordinated it with the season. I can't wait for my next birthday party- this makes life worth living! And I've decided that this doorbell is moving with me from house to house, until I die.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME. My doorbell only works when the humidity is right. PS - right now the hubby is in the bathroom scrubbing the walls and patching plaster.

    ReplyDelete