Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tea with the Queen

recent conversation

Sarah: TEA WITH THE QUEEN!
Mark: it's not tea with THE Queen. Just tea.
Sarah: Why would they say tea with the Queen if it wasn't? Is she coming?
Mark: She's not coming to have tea with you.
Sarah: What? Does she know I'm going to be there? She might want to come. I'm rather special.
Mark: She doesn't know you're coming. She's not having tea with you.
Sarah: This is ridiculous. After you taught me to curtesy and everything? Someone should tell her.
Mark: She's not coming to have tea with you.
Sarah: Do you like candy canes?
Mark: What?
Sarah: Candy canes. Do you like them? I love them, I eat them all Christmas season. But I hate them because I always suck them down to a point and end up poking myself in the gums with the really sharp point.
Mark: What's a candy cane?
Sarah: What?
Mark: (slowly, and with a VERY English accent) WHAT IS A CANDY CANE?
Sarah: You've got to be kidding. It's a candy cane. Like a peppermint, that's shaped like a cane. Long with a hook on it. Red and white striped. Like a barber pole. How can you not know what a candy cane is?
Mark: Well, it's called a "candy" cane, which means it's American, because we don't call them candy, we call them sweets.
Sarah: But you MUST have seen them! They're iconic. They're Christmas. They're, hell, they're candy canes.
Mark: Repeatedly using the word will not make me understand what they are.
Sarah:AAARGHH! How can you not know what they are? This is mind boggling. You must Google. Google them now.
Silence follows while Mark googles.
Mark: Oh. I've seen those before.
Sarah: Of course you have, they're candy canes. Do you like them?
Mark: I've never had one
Sarah: I'm hanging up now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... You can remember an entire conversation like that, word for word, but if I were to ask you if you bought soup today you woulnt have a clue... Just wow

    Haha - the funny thing is - the above is normal

    ReplyDelete