Tuesday, August 2, 2011

That seriously JUST happened. Well, yesterday. I'm a little behind in my update.

It was 6pm and I felt it was high time I leave the house for the first time that day. Lame right? The peril of working from home is that you never actually have a reason to leave the house. Anyway, I was out and about.
I've pulled up to a red light, at Eastern and Desert Inn and a little white convertible mazda pulls up beside me. The driver honks and waves enthusiastically trying to get my attention.
MY immediate thought is that either:
A. This is a weirdo and I shouldn't acknowledge them
B. There's something wrong with my car and I should acknowledge them

Ok, so I'm terrible at not giving into temptation. Unless the temptation is chocolate, because strangely, I've never cared much for chocolate. But, of course, I look over.

IMMEDIATE DOUBLE TAKE!
Gesturing for me to roll down my window (well, buzz it down, who has manual windows these days?) was Elvis.
Elvis!
He then called, "Sarah! How are you?"
Oh my god! Yes, we're getting looks from everyone. And this is when I realize, THIS ELVIS, this is my friend Chad.
Who is driving a brand new convertible. And apparently on his way to a last minute wedding. We chat for a while, ending the conversation with a promise to get together and have a drink or two soon.
And away we drive.

Maybe this doesn't seem like much.
But in my opinion, I was feeling the very epitome of being a Las Vegan. I mean, I was at a stoplight, an Elvis recognized me, and stopped to chat before heading off to officiate a wedding. (I'm likewise feeling slightly proud for spelling epitome correctly without needing spellcheck).
Ok, so sure, I live in Las Vegas. This isn't QUITE as bizarre as it would have been in my home town of Sylva, NC.
However, contrary to popular belief, you don't actually see Elvis all the time in Las Vegas. It's more like playing a grown up version of "where's waldo." You know they are there, you just can't usually find them. In fact, outside of Fremont Street or Las Vegas Boulevard sightings, I can narrow my personal Elvis sightings down to the following four incidents over the past five years:

1. Elvis, fat version, stumbling out of the Crazy Horse Two (a notorious strip club) around 6:45 am (i feel bonus points for the situational irony should be awarded)
2. Elvis, fat version, shopping in Sam's Club. (I feel this deserves an extra point or two as I also saw him prior in the parking lot too).
3. Elvis, fat version AND Elvis, young version, walking through a parking lot (clearly, double points!!!) This actually happened last week
4. Elvis, young version, events described above.

Which, in the, OMG It's Complete Proof that I live in Las Vegas game I've just invented, is worth about 50 points! I'm thinking I'm massively ahead of everyone else.

Other point earning items- people in the fountains. Last month I actually watched an idiot dive into the Bellagio fountains. I also have a random picture from last summer of a guy in the Flamingo fountains. I asked him to pose for me, he happily obliged.

PS: Rules for game, otherwise known as ways to keep it fair.
1. Sightings of Elvis or other celebrities on the Strip or Fremont do not count. All of it, so the wedding chapels and the signs are included.
2. Cirque parties do not count as Elvis sightings.

Welcoming any other thoughts on point worthy occurrences.

2 comments:

  1. this seems unfair .. im desperate to participate .. but we dont get that many Elvis sightings in Biggleswade :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. soon! I promise you can play soon :)

    ReplyDelete